Ch 1.6 Kids growing up


The new year started with working on resolutions. Nickolas had bought a punching bag and whenever he had spare time he was working on his resolution.


Greta too was working on her skills but she could relax every now and then still. Now the spring was definitely in the air and you could spend short times outside without winter clothes. As much as they had waited for the snow and the winter, they now were welcoming the spring after such a dark and cold period.


On weekend the kids went to the park to enjoy the sunny weather. Greta invited August there too, of course.
"See this video, you won't believe what the cat is doing!" August explained and showed funny videos on his phone.
"That's funny alright but I wanted to talk about something", Greta answered.
"Really, what?" August sounded worried.
"Oh, nothing like that", Greta replied quickly, "I was just thinking that have you been thinking about going to the university? I have to start thinking my options."
August looked sad, "I would like to but I don't think it is possible for me. The world isn't ready yet, we don't have the same possibilities."
"Oh, I didn't realize", Greta touched his hand, "I must go though, seeing I have the possibility but what will happen to us?"
August closed his hand around hers, "I don't see why anything should happen to us. I can come and visit there, and you can come and visit here. If that's what you want", he added uncertainly.
Greta smiled, "very much so."


"August, have you seen this video about the man and the air balloons?" Nickolas called August when Greta had left him to go to the toilet.
"No, show me", he asked.
As they were both laughing at the video Nickolas asked, "so you and Greta, that's serious then?"
"I suppose it is", August replied, "I'm crazy about her in any case."
Nickolas nodded, "good, so is she about you."
"I'm just a bit worried about the time in the university, what if she finds someone while there?"
"This is Greta we are talking about, she doesn't fool around. You can trust her", Nickolas assured him.
August was clearly relieved.


"That feels so good, where didyou learn to massage like that?" Greta sighed.
"Self-learned, I guess", he said modestly.


Greta sighed satisfied after the massage and as August automatically started cleaning dirty dishes, she knew that there simply wouldn't be any competition, no one else would stand a chance.


Nickolas didn't show it but he was jealous for what Greta and August had. He tried to meet girls but there were only some that he was friends with, nothing really clicked.
"Come on, at least try and hit me", Evie Delgato, a sister of his friend ask, "you aren't aiming at all."
"Sorry, was thinking something else."


"It's my birthday, finally! University here I come!" Greta shouted happy.
Hugh laughed, "you really can't wait, can you?"
"Nope, been waiting for this for a long time by now. How is the cake coming?"
"Perfect, just perfect", Hugh answered.


"Hey sis, here is a little something", Nickolas took out a present.
"Really, for me? You serious?"
"Yup, and it's nothing funny, you will enjoy it for sure.
"Thanks little brother", she answered and hugged him.


There was just one downside with aging up. August was younger and they wouldn't be able to be together for a while.
"Greta", August mumbled between kisses, "everyone sees us."
"I know, and I really don't care."
"Oh good, because I don't either. But you know it's only few days and I will follow you."
"Can't I just kiss you if I want to?" Greta laughed.
"Most definitely you can, I won't mind", he admitted.

"And here is a little something for you", he continued.
"For me, really? You shouldn't have."
August smiled, "I have heard that when people have birthdays, you bring something for them."
Greta opened the envelope and found beautiful card that said "Every day we share together, we're creating our own fairytale. I look forward to our happily ever after."

Greta had to dry her eyes after readin the message and while hugging August tightly she simply whispered, "thank you", as she couldn't think anything to quite cover her feelings.


The party was ready to start as Greta turned to blow the candles. She had invited just other young people, also Evie Delgato and other teen girl too, mainly for her brother's sake.


"Mum, what on earth are you doing?"
"Nothing much, great party you had!"
"Mum, really, what's wrong with you?"
Annika stopped, "nothing. Really", she added looking at Greta's face, "this pile of trash just is too much, the cats! And my birthday party was completely forgotten.
"I'm so sorry mum, I didn't realize we shared a birthday", Greta admitted.
"I know that, and I didn't want to spoil your day so here we are", Annika said, "but one does become sad for forgetting their own birthday."

The party had been indeed great and Greta had developed a trait of a perfectionist - not that it surprised anyone.


Nickolas only had couple days time to complete his New Year resolution so he went to the gym with Greta. It was fun but too late, Nickolas couldn't get fit on time. He was a bit sad for being the only one who couldn't complete their resolution but he didn't let it bother too much.


August had called Greta that he would be arranging his birthday at the gym at the same time she was there with Nickolas. What a coincidence! Greta luckily had something else to wear than her sportswear and had just had the time to pick up a birthday present.

"It really was only couple days!", she said happily, "welcome to adulthood."
"Wow, thanks, great to have presents too! Is this a bit weird place to have one's birthday?"
Greta laughed, "you think so?"
August grinned, "so it is..."
"How come you decided to have a party here, from all places?"
August shrugged, "I heard you and Nickolas were going to head here to work on his resolution so I thought I would bring the party here and he could continue training. Didn't want to disturb you."
Greta jumped to hug him, "you really are a keeper, do you know that?", she whispered.


Then some really weird things started to happen, first Annika went out to discover some odd lightning.

Only to be zapped to a spaceship. She wasn't nearly as surprised as the rest of the family. The things she saw at work had made her almost wait for something like this. Few hours later she was returned back unharmed with some new experiences. Something that she absolutely refused to discuss with anyone else.


Then Greta ran into a streaker! At first she thought it was just someone crazy but as there turned out to be more she didn't get it at first. Then she realized what day it was, 1st of May celebration! Great day to have fun with streaking, costumes, drinking and mischief.


At home the atmosphere was tense though.

"Just look at his cat! Sitting on the table like he would own the whole house!", Hugh almost yelled, "and my chair is all scratched, I can feel the splinters against my legs! Will you please  do something?"
"Me?", Nickolas asked angrily, "it isn't my fault they have learned to eat human food on the table and not my fault that no one has ever taught them not to destroy the furniture! They are cats, they behave like cats."
"Right, defend them", Hugh said grossly.
"Right, I will! I don't like the splinters anymore but it isn't their fault, not really!"

So the discussion continued for a while until Hugh gave up, it was useless after all. Nickolas was right, the cats don't behave like humans.


"Come on dad, you aren't mad at the cats, not really. At least not for long!" Greta told Hugh and tickled his father.
"Please stop, I can't take this, I'm too old for this, why are you attacking me like this?", he asked laughing with tears in his eyes.
"You aren't too old, don't try that one on me!"
"Please, please, stoooop", he was pleading.


"I was going to cook, I can do this, you know", Nickolas told his mother, "you are just showing off."
"Any particular reason you want to do the cooking?", she asked him, "or should I say, anyone particular you want to cook for?", she continued with a wink.
Nickolas sighed, "why is everyone on me about that? What's the hurry? And no, I don't have anyone in my mind. I don't even think it like that, it is just great to hang out with different people."
"You are right, of course, you are young and you have plenty of time to find someone, if you wish", Annika agreed.


"Welcome to our 1st of May party!", Nickolas greeted his best friend.
"Thanks, any cool ladies here?", he asked.
"Some more than the others", Nickolas winked, "but my sister is very much taken and adult now so don't you think..."
"I know... was just thinking..."
"Well, don't. Now, let's drink as many of these as we can before someone notices. I know it's not just juice and I'm allowed for glass or two as I'm almost adult too but not more than that..."


Nickolas was really enjoying this day. He enjoyed dressing up and he enjoyed the company.


Even Greta agreed to dress up, if only to a cheerleader but it was costume nevertheless.


"Mum, you are doing it again. I'm almost ready with the breakfast, and you just come here to cook too. Don't trust me much?"
Annika laughed friendly, "I trust you, you are almost adult now after all, I just wanted to have something else for breakfast than fried eggs, that's all."

The party had been great, luckily the next day was free though as the evening had been late one and everyone was more or less tired.


Hardly had they got over the 1st of May celebration party that it was time for Nickolas young agult birthday. The usual crowd was there and the party scored gold as Nickolas grew up. He had always liked cats so no one was surprised when he grew up with cat lover-trait.

***

1st of May is a real spring-festival in Finland. It usually means drinking (sparkly wine is traditional), having picnic at park, dress into costumes and overall goofing around.

Both kids are young adults now so there is a heir poll at the boolprop-forum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ch. 1.1 Welcome to Presley family

Ch. 1.3 Greta grows up

Ch. 1.4 Winterfest and birthday